"We felt very honored when we heard about winning this special small business award. I like to think American Plumbing Contractors Inc. represents the pride and hard work ethic like many thousands of hardworking merit shops in this great country. Our pride in our country extends to all aspects of our skilled trade, and the amazing employees that have made American Plumbing into the strong force it is today. Thank you very much for this recognition."
What Is It
In 2004, Six statewide leaders (now identified as Founders) met to discuss how to recognize, celebrate and cultivate Michigan’s small businesses. The leaders decided to bring together the individual small business awards program of their organizations under one robust statewide awards program, Michigan Celebrates Small Business (MCSB). Since inception the intent has been that this program belongs to the state of Michigan, no individual entity. The Founders of MCSB recognized a need for the program to place emphasis on recognition of growth companies. After rigorous brainstorming they identified that an award would be initiated called the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch, making the Edward Lowe Foundation the administrator of this component of the MCSB program, adding the foundation as an integral originator of MCSB.
Since the inception of MCSB in 2004, the purpose, mission and vision has remained the same:Purpose of MCSB
Michigan Celebrates Small Business brings together the resources of collaborative partners and supporters so that they may raise the profile of small businesses in Michigan, build a network of entrepreneurial companies, and tell the stories of successful, growing Michigan entrepreneurs.MCSB Vision Statement:
Michigan Celebrates Small Business (MCSB) remains on the forefront of championing small business and fostering the entrepreneurial spirit in Michigan. The MCSB’s role is to serve as a catalyst for creating an entrepreneurial culture while inspiring the next generation of entrepreneurs.MCSB Mission Statement:
The mission of MCSB is to honor and recognize Michigan’s small business people and those champions and advocates that support them.
To be considered for selection as one of the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch, the enterprise must meet the following for the year ending 2019.
- Be a privately held, commercial enterprise that has not received the award in the past (not a nonprofit, not publicly traded, not a subsidiary or division of another company).
- Be past the startup stage and facing issues of growth, not survival.
- Employ 6-99 full-time equivalent W-2 employees (including the owner).
- Have between $750,000 and $50M in annual revenue or working capital from either investments or grants.
- Be headquartered in Michigan.
- Demonstrate the intent and capacity to grow based on:
- Employee or sales growth.
- Sustainable competitive advantage.
- Other notable successes.
List Of Awards
- ABC Outstanding Company Growth 2017-2018
- ABC Excellence in Construction for the Northville project
- ABC Step Award 2017 - Gold Level
- ABC Step Award 2018 - Gold Level
- ABC Step Award 2019 - Gold Level
- Certified Veteran-friendly Bronze Level 2020
- Gold Addy
- Silver Addy